View Single Post
Old 12-16-2017, 01:56 PM
10mm MW

update

It has been a long time sense I have updated some of my threads with the things that I have managed to get done, so I thought I would take a minute and document them.

I finally had a chance to install the Big Mouth prechambers, advance the camshaft 10*, turn up and re-time the pump, and while it was out, I eliminated the High Speed Governor. I had to pull and re-index the pump because I was out of slot. When I put it back in, I set the start of injection at 28*. (This is possible because of the prechamber mods and the advanced camshaft)

As seen in the pic I do not use the drip method to set the start of injection timing. Instead, I made a gauge to measure the plunger height which is a lot more precise, (even when you factor in the factory build tolerance), and way more repeatable then the drip method.

The speck for the #1 prestroke from bottom is 2.15mm. The tolerance is 2.05mm / 2.25mm. I set the pump at 2.15mm at 28* . When I get a chance to play with it again, I want to bump it up to 29*.

While I had the pump out, I turned in the rack limiter all the way (I did not remove it), and turned in the Torque Control literally all the way, which is to say is a touch more than I normally do lol.. Turns out that I had to back it off a couple of turns so I could set the Vertical Throttle Stop so I would keep running. To compensate for the Torque Control adjustment, the Vertical Throttle Stop has to be backed off, and in this case it was in the manual shut down range, so when the throttle was at idle, the rack was being pulled back too far, and its range of movement was not enough for the idle to keep it running.

After backing off the Torque Control 2 turns all was well. I also put the ALDA back on as with the fueling turned up and the aggressive governor settings, it really made it drive nice and strong with no smoke as it was intended to.

Another pic shows the solid link I put in place of the High Speed Governor spring, so now beyond Idle, my foot controls the fueling and it now drives like a gas engine, pulling all the way as it revs up instead of flattening out and just making noise.

It is a totally different car now and the next step is a bigger turbo and a 10MM pump. I am very pleased with the set up.
Attached Thumbnails
MW IP Modification / Tuning-pump-pics-001-small-.jpg   MW IP Modification / Tuning-pump-pics-003-small-.jpg   MW IP Modification / Tuning-pump-pics-004-small-.jpg