View Single Post
Old 12-16-2017, 11:38 PM
Master hull craftsman

Oh, right frank! haha, yeah 2mm. that's what i meant i guess. still in the conversion stages from domestic v8 land. thats pretty disappointing, i guess they are just relegated to relatively low power compared to a domestic hopped up v8 or a m119. well unless they are boosted. My 4.5 has a pretty lopey idle and is pretty quick with the manual and 3.69 rear, makes me wonder what cams are in it or if its possibly a euro motor. I never scoped it to look at the pistons. tony sent me this cam chart awhile back and it shows the 02/03 and 70/71 only 4* earlier opening difference. I'm still trying to wrap my head around what is the rpm limiting factor in these engines. a 5.0 117.962 (5900 i believe)is a lower redline than a 5.6 us(6000) motor? it doesn't make sense. the 3.8 116.960 makes the same hp as 5.6 and redlines at 6700. Your saying a m116 has lower lift also. Is the reduced piston speed making all that difference in rpm capability? I understand the increased rpm moves more air so more horsepower. im really curios to see what difference the 3.8 cams would make rpm wise ona 4.5, and where a 5.6 runs out of breath too. i think the internals are up to way more than 6700 unless the valve train gets unstable. How about a shaft mount follower setup with adjusted ratio? i need 400ish hp. i'd love to keep it all mercedes and ive got piles of mercedes v8's.

Tony, did you cc those heads? it still looks like the upper head has a way bigger chamber around the spark plug. I can see how maybe the area around the bore is smaller to make up some though.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 560cams.pdf (355.4 KB, 101 views)