View Single Post
Old 04-07-2003, 02:21 PM

allright, I'll chip in with my opinion. I know a few french and german people (one of my best friends is a German driving a Ford Focus), so anything I say here is something I would, and probably have, said to their face. Personally, I am very disappointed with France. They have been bashing Americans, american culture, and american products long before this Iraq thing (the 2003 part, not the 1991 part) even started. They call us ignorant, stupid, pompous, etc. Being the only american in my family (the rest are canadian, I was born in california), I already have a sense of patriotism, but I also have a perspective from my parents that is fairly unbiased. French people, wether in France or outside, have not been very helpful in any war, even if it ment saving their own skins. In world war II they did not give any resistance to the nazis because they didn't want them to ruin their precious city Paris. Even french-canadians didn't want to fight, they would run up into the hills and hide so they wouldn't be drafted. Even some of my french friends today bad mouth americans without any respect for what they have done for their country. I had french class first period in the morning on 9/11 and the teacher refused to put on the news because she thought we should not focus on bad things that are happening in the world, but focus on education. Although I respect her opinion, I think that something of such significant historical importance should take precidence over daily class and conjegation of verbs. It makes sense why France and Russia are against the war too, the russians were illegaly selling Iraq night vision technology and GPS jamming devices, and some US soldiers recently found a cache of french-made rifles in an Iraqi school (I heard all these on CNN). If the french people are being misrepresented, and it's only the french government, then why don't the french re-elect their representatives? I am particulary upset with canada too, because the prime minister is misrepresenting the people, but I think there are many problems with canada I'd be glad to discuss in another thread. Just my .02