View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltpro View Post
I've actually done a custom manifold and turbo system for this exact engine about 11 years ago when my friend owned an 85 and I drive it about 15 mikes with a blown turbo and it run better than mine does now . Even with the turbo completely bypassing gases and not spooling it would still move more than it does now . The more I keep looking at it the more I think it's a fuel related problem which is load dependent . Compression is great , not only does it always start on the first try but it barely turns before it starts and once it starts I can feel the engine running strong and the throttle response is great . Just to reverse it output my garage and up my gradual driveway it struggles, I can hit the pedal all the way down and i can still walk faster uphill than it's going . I've been around turboed cars for years but my only experience with these was doing a custom turbo setup on a friends car and someone he knew at the time in Tennessee did the running for him . I do not want to start taking things apart and making what could be a simple problem worse , I may be extremely knowledgeable on turbocharged modern cars but I'm quick to admit I do not know anything about these . Any and all help is greatly appreciated so please keep the ideas coming and thanks for taking the time to answer my post .
You're missing the point of my previous post. There is an ALDA module on top of the injection pump, it looks like a square thing bolted to the top. It's entire purpose is to restrict fuel until the turbo begins to build pressure, then it will increase fuelling to allow the turbo to do its job and the engine to make its rated horsepower.

You say you made a custom manifold - did you send a sensing line to the ALDA? If not, you will never build boost, you will never get fuel enrichment, and the engine will have maybe 30HP and a complete inability to do any useful work.

To test the theory, delete the ALDA. You'll need a couple wrenches to break it free. If you suddenly have power, you know where your problem lies. In neutral and without load, the engine will rev just fine because it is not being asked to do any work and the turbo is not spooled. With the fuel cut way back, it'll rev just like nothing's wrong.

Black Sheep:
1985 524TD 167K (TotalDumpster™)

Gone but not forgotten:
1986 300SDL (RIP)
1991 350SD
1991 560SEL
1990 560SEL
1986 500SEL Euro (Rusted to nothing at 47K!)