View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 11:10 PM

I plan to keep and drive mine for the rest of my life, and work on them as much as I can. If the world is taken over by smartphones on wheels and the government takes away and smashes the car my dad bought when I was 5 and that I have poured my heart and soul and money into, they can do it with me in it. The future people are painting is so bleak and soulless (with cars and everything else), I become overwhelmingly depressed thinking about it. So, I'm trying to enjoy whatever time I have with my cars and not waste every day now worrying about the future ... easier said than done especially since I can't find any segment of the car hobby where one can have a conversation about the cars they like without people rambling on about whatever robot future is inevitable and how we'd better get used to it and say goodbye to our cars. Anyhow, in the event the world doesn't collapse: I don't think my old diesels will be my primary drivers at this point, though when I finish restoring my 300D I intend to daily drive it in the warm months and maybe do some road trips. I might relent and get a newer car at some point (relatively soon because at least there are still a few new cars with a little appeal) because I'll admit I'm getting overwhelmed with trying to keep mine going. The Jeep has more and more issues and unfortunately my life circumstances and health are just making it hard for me to keep up with everything and thus taking some of the fun out. I wouldn't get rid of any of my oldies (or the Jeep) though and plan to keep them going ... I think I would just be more successful at that with a backup, and would get back to enjoying the hobby. They might not be that practical anymore or efficient or green, or important or valuable classics, but they are an important part of my life and a part of history and I remain enamored with the way they are built, the way they drive, sound and even smell.
2018 Chevy Cruze diesel, 6-speed manual, satin steel metallic/kalahari--19,000 miles
1982 Peugeot 505 diesel, 4-speed manual, blue/blue, 130,000 miles
1995 S320, black/parchment--34,000 miles (Dad's car)