View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 01:50 PM

OM617 W123 being naughty when cold

So i have a 1983 300d that i have made other thread about various other issues.

Not sure on the mileage of the car. Says 244k, but the odometer doesn't work half the time.

No known maintenance history whatsoever

Pertaining to the engine- here is what i have done

Fuel filters (twice)
Diesel purge
Valve adjustment (three times)
Rebuilt all 5 injectors w/ monark nozzles
New return lines
(1) new glow plug
(1) new prechamber (old one took a glow plug to the face, destroyed injector and prechamber
New injector following this incident^

So.. after replacing the prechamber, injector, and glow plug on that one cylinder, The car runs x10 better than it has in my short (almost) year of ownership. Much much much more power (im guessing it was on 4 cylinders before ), very smooth acceleration, very smooth idle around 800-1000 RPM, no strange noises or misfires like before (see some of my previous threads), and no smoke... but only when warm.

When cold, the car shakes and misses, idles rough, and sometimes smokes a tiny bit. This lasts for maybe... 1-3 minutes or so? Then it is fine. It's only when i let it sit in the 20-40 degree weather overnight, or longer. Cranking during the day after it's been started earlier, it's golden. Strong smooth start up.

On another note, the transmission acts weird when cold as well. When i first get going, it starts to "buck" and slip if you will, around 3k rpm. Again, only when cold, and this only last for about 0.25-0.5 miles. Basically by the time i get to the end of my street its acting better. Once warmed up, the transmission acts great, minus what i think is a vacuum issue. I have lots of vacuum leaks, and my 2-3 shift is occasionally way too early depending on throttle input. Im waiting on a new trans filter and gasket to arrive so i can change the fluid- maybe that will help with the issues i'm having when cold? i'm leaking fluid from around the gasket i believe, so i do have to keep it topped off. it does this when cold regardless of fluid level.

Is this just the nature of the beast? Am i overreacting? Before this, i have only owned 2003+ gasoline chevy pick up trucks, a 2001 chevy impala, and a 2010 E63. So im used to computer controlled smooth cold starts. I've never owned a vehicle older than 2001, so bear with me.

Maybe i should replace the other four glow plugs?

Thanks

Daniel