Thread: valve job?
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 02:07 PM
Diesel Dandy

Post Oil Changes

What he said .

Unlike most, I have the experience of disassembling thousands of engines over my career most had varying amounts of accumulated sludge, even ones that had fairly frequent oil changes .

The two most important things to remember and do are :

HOT ~ do it as close to blistering your fingers as you can stand .

Use the drain plug ! .

Right now I am finally getting back to working and yesterday I put a 1954 VW Engine in the stand to make it run again see if it's any good .

In the cylinder heads everything was pretty clean, when I removed the sump's oil screen it had quite a bit of accumulated sludge from paraffin based oils .

I spent over and hour scraping the accumulated sludge out because I know from experience that fresh detergent oil in an old engine can easily loosen up the sludge and invariably it makes a been line to the connecting rod bearings and occasionally causes failures .

As mentioned : it's your car and money but if you care about it as it appears you do, follow the basic common sense rules and be suspicious of any and all short cuts .

In _every_ shop I've ever worked in, even the Dealers, I was he _only_ one who didn't wait to let the engine cool down before draining the oil .

I have lots of old engines I dig out of junkyards, barns, fields etc. and none are dirty inside because I'm always sure to do regular, HOT oil and filter changes .

I did then what I knew how to do ~ now that I know better I do better