Thread: valve job?
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenying View Post
hmm, reviews have said it does get everything out... and if it's still warm at the beginning and sucking from the bottom...

i thought i'd wait a week til i get the topsider, i only drive it a couple times mid week, but maybe i'll just get it changed sooner, i have a filter and o ring but not the filter housing stem o rings
Prove it to yourself. Use the topsider, then go pull the drain plug and see what comes out. If it's dry, I'll eat my hat. The nastiest part of the oil is always the bit that keeps trickling out after the bulk of the oil has drained. The topsider CANNOT remove that part of the oil fill, and that's the nasty part you REALLY want removed during the change. Gravity does the work for you, when hot, that stuff becomes mobile and will flow towards the drain plug.

The stem O-rings aren't that critical. If you aren't having oil pressure problems when cold starting, you can likely reuse them. I generally change mine every 3rd or 4th oil change just on principle.

Another tip - Remove the old filter before changing the oil. It'll let all the oil and sludge from the filter tower flow back into the pan for draining with the rest of the oil. It'll let the stem cool down so you can work with it, and it'll let you reassemble the filter tower while the block is draining, saving you a bit of time.

Black Sheep:
1985 524TD 167K (TotalDumpster™)

Gone but not forgotten:
1986 300SDL (RIP)
1991 350SD
1991 560SEL
1990 560SEL
1986 500SEL Euro (Rusted to nothing at 47K!)