View Single Post
Old 04-07-2003, 11:32 PM
Low Maintenance

Who's Holding Skippy's Leash?

Who's Holding SKippy's Leash? (from sgtstryker.com)

Last night, as I was watching Skippy giving his press briefing from the parking lot, I was making fun of his "2+2=5" routine, but then I wondered, "Who's holding the other end of his leash?"

At the moment he was making an ass of himself in front of the world, our guys were almost right across the street. He could've said, "To hell with this charade!" and run off to surrender to our guys. Why didn't he? He knows the end is near. He obviously has a satellite dish (and apparently gets Fox News) as he references reports made about 5-10 minutes before he goes on the air. He knows that international justice is fairly weak and if he didn't commit warcrimes, then he'll get maybe 5 years, if that. If he did commit warcrimes, he might get 10-15 years with a reduced sentence down the road. They don't hang or shoot people anymore, so where's the fear of a criminal tribunal? Hell, with his disinformation skills and natural timing, his trial could become the sitcom of the century.

My guess is that someone higher up the food chain is close enough to Skippy to do him harm should he not keep up the good media fight. You ever see the chubby guy with the mustache (okay, not the most specific description in Iraq) that's usually about 3 ft away from Skippy? Is that his bodyguard or his minder? If Skippy were to suddenly make a break for the Americans in the middle of his press conference, would that chubby dude join him or shoot him?

Skippy is a puzzle in so many ways, but the biggest question is why doesn't he surrender? Who's putting the screws on him? Who's powerful enough to make a man go out and make a mockery of himself in front of the world when he knows the end is imminent? I figure most of the senior leadership is either dead or far enough away from Skippy that they don't pose an immediate threat, especially when American tanks are about 300 yards away, so who's the guy with the pistol to Skippy's head?

05 F650GS