View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliverp View Post
I haven't posted here in many years but have the opportunity to get back into ownership. I live in Canada now (moved from the UK).

I am going to see a 1991 500SL with relatively low miles (129k KM) - if genuine.

If I like it, I may bring a Mercedes tech with me to look at it further.
However, does anyone have any tips on what I myself could check on the first visit to decide if I should rule it out?

I was thinking
-Heater and A/C check (thinking of evaporator and heater core)
No real way to check these. A Freon leak sniffer might pick up a whiff but even with an actual evap leak it is hard to pin down. Antifreeze smell in the car is a tip off of a possible heater core leak. These cars have a heated windshield base so coolant could leak there but I don't think it is very common.
Quote:
-Does the hood power up and down OK
If the hydraulic cylinders have not been replaced / resealed they will be leaking soon or now. There are 12 on this year of car.
Quote:
-Rust
The only time I've seen rust was on the inner door jamb and I'm guessing it was from a long ago poor quarter panel replacement.
Quote:
-Then the basics like how does it drive and how do the gear changes feel
Back the car up a steep hill with a hot transmission, these tend to lose reverse.

I don't think 91 has wiring insulation problems but can't say for sure. These do have CIS-E fuel injection that is $$$ to repair. These also have 2 fuel pumps in series to get needed pressures, one can fail and car still run but not so well.