View Single Post
Old 04-08-2003, 06:42 AM
LarryBible

airfoill,

I was obviously not clear in making my point about the cars requiring R12 hitting the wrecking yards. Becasue the newest of these cars are about 11 years old now, there are tons of them being taken off the road every day.

I was not saying this to point out the availability of the R12 in these cars that is there to be recovered, although that does add to the available supply. My point is that this means that the DEMAND for R12 is rapidly decreasing. Most cars don't stay on the road as long as do our MB's.

So, this gets to "Supply and Demand." A few years ago, R12 got up to as much as $80 per pound. It can now be purchased readily for under $30, with a 609 certificate of course.

Although you can no longer buy R12 at K-Mart for $.59 per pound like you could at one point, it is readily available and I fully expect that it will be available as long as I am on the Earth. There again, Supply and Demand. The demand is rapidly decreasing.

Again, everyone is free to use what they like and they can even justify it in their own minds however they like.

Have a great day,