View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 04:43 PM
E300d 1995

Had to look up durometer. Hopefully what I've done will be long lasting. Luckily the lift pump feed connection was a very close fit inside the new 3/8 Gates Barricade MPI fuel injection hose. I used two hose clamps to get a tight secure fit.

I clipped the plastic line off from the fuel heater to the stock prefilter location and plugged the remaining openings with a little black permatex silicone. I made a stubby connection to the bottom of the fuel heater from 5/16 hose slipped it on and plugged the hose opening with the black silicone.

I used the Gates 5/16 hose to replace the original hardened plastic hose. The little brass in-line valve had fairly smooth connections on both sides, so that was easy to retain. Tried to search for the reason it is in the return flow path. Virtually no explanation for it's use can be found. Must be a good thing to have because different diesel engines use the same part #. Zip tied the hose to keep it away from the serpentine belt and to keep it from rattling.

Will probably zip tie the supply fuel connection ( plastic with o-ring ) to the lift pump. That should help keep it tight if the stock clips ever failed.

I'm thinking about adding a 3/8 brass ball valve to shut off the supply fuel to the lift pump. I would use this to prevent the injection pump from bleeding back to the tank if I ever have to do delivery valves again.

Also thinking about adding a brass T connection after the new ball valve to allow the easy use of the Moly purging liquid. Could also use that connection to feed new diesel fuel to the lift pump to help it prime the injection pump faster. I don't like the excessive cranking required to push all the air out.
Gravity might self prime the pump through that T connection.

Doing this eliminated 3 o-ring connections, the Gates hose is supposed to be good for bio-diesel, the pre-filter is large enough it will probably never need to be changed ( but I'm old enough that could be weeks or a few years ). The area above the injection pump lines is a little more accessible now.

Might have to fiddle with the hoses to get the washer liquid tank back in place.

I used the 3/8 hose primarily because NAPA only had a metal pre-filter in that size and the 5/16 plastic pre-filters had a tiny opening on each side.

I had previously researched an electric lift pump to pressurize the supply lines. I've done this a few times before on chevy, ford, and cat diesels. Very easy and no problems if I used Walbro pumps. I couldn't find the flow requirements for the 606 lift and injection pump. I've read the 606 injection pump requires a much higher flow than the old style diesel cast iron pumps. I don't know if this is to help reduce the temperature, better lubrication, or to help with purging of air from the top of the filter. I was also concerned about the Walbro and other low pressure pumps to keep up with the flow requirements ( since I didn't know them ). Also concerned with having an electric pump that could fail. Only reasonable place to put a larger electric pump would have been the truck area. Didn't want that due to possible diesel fumes or liquid if connections leaked. So I decided to stick with only the stock lift pump and try to make the hoses and connections more reliable than the o-ring method.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for input on simplest and reliable way to convert 5/16 hose to 3/8 hose-mbz3-view-new-hoses-pre-filiter.jpg   Looking for input on simplest and reliable way to convert 5/16 hose to 3/8 hose-mbz3-another-view.jpg  

Last edited by Texasgeezer; 02-01-2018 at 05:16 PM.