View Single Post
Old 02-05-2018, 12:33 PM
E300d 1995

95 E300D W124 A few comments about my monowiper cleaning and lube

Much easier than I thought it would be.

Tips that were most helpful:

- don't remove rubber trim if just cleaning and lubing
- scribe matching lines for the top of the bolt for each of the shaft nuts ( 13 & 17mm ) and the flat metal arms that the nuts firm up to the splines. This allows easy proper positioning when putting back together. A Dremel cutting wheel would have been handy to make good lines for the future.
- use a pair of large vice grips to pop the flat arms off the splined shaft. ( unscrew the nut til it's at the top of the shaft. Put 1 jaw on top of the nut, the other under the flat arm and squeeze. Arm pops off )
- position monowiper arm in the middle. 90 degree up position. As if pointing to top of windshield. This allows little geared wheel inside to be removed from arced gear inside. Put back in this position when reassembling.

Clean away all old grease. I sprayed with WD40 and then blew off with air hose. That got about 95 percent of old grease out. I then used contact cleaner to remove WD40 and blew that off.

Lube choice was Molykote 33 medium. Excellent specs but didn't seem to have good sticking ability. Time will tell how it works. Wish Bosch would be helpful but to them proper grease and oil for the products is proprietary.

I left the motor together because it showed minimal usage. I did clean the outer copper contact area of old grease and used the M-33 on those contacts that rub the timing wheel. Also put on the surface of timing wheel.

Picture shows the shaft for the monowiper with a scratched line to aid proper positioning.
Attached Thumbnails
95 E300D W124  A few comments about my monowiper cleaning and lube-mbz4-wiper-shaft.jpg