View Single Post
Old 02-06-2018, 02:13 PM
Diesel Preferred

Tool: Get a Harbor Freight Saw-z-all and good blades from another store so you can cut apart whatever is too rusty to waste time on. I'm not familiar with inner bushings on the lower control arm on a 126, I've done that job on 123 and 124, and it is a real pain. Old bushings need to be cut apart and forced out. If you find rust on the inner surface of the LCA, you need to either clean up the rust or buy a new LCA if the rust is too deep.

Another Tool: Harbor Freight big massive C-clamp for front end bushings. I use this to install the new bushings (I coat them with castor oil as lube) and the inner sleeve, the opening on the C-clamp opposite the threaded rod "pusher" gives access to the part of the sleeve that needs to be peened to hold the assembly in place. Ball peen hammer (third tool), held in place on the sleeve, strike the other side of the hammer with a hammer or mallet or whatever.

I've also made good use of a massive piece of all-thread rod with big washers and sockets to help remove old bushings. A blue wrench (torch) may also be useful.
'87 124.193 (300TD) "White Whale", ~392k miles, 3.5l IP fitted
'95 124.131 (E300) "Sapphire", 380k miles
'73 Balboa 20 "Sanctification"
Charleston SC