View Single Post
Old 02-07-2018, 12:56 PM
DD MOD, HVAC,MCP,Mac,GMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by leathermang View Post
So just for automotive suspension theory basics.....
the ' torsion bars ' or ' the sway bars' do nothing while going straight down the road... or when turning at slow speeds.... they do not have an intrinsic function with regard to the height of the car or resistance to A Arm movement as an example which A Arm bushings had.. which needed to be installed with the A Arm in the ' working position' to keep from improperly affecting the ride height of the car AND wearing the those bushing out post haste....
The Torsion bar bushings... which I think are more properly called ' sway bar bushings ' ( since some cars like some Chrysler products in the 1970's actually had Torsion bars.. which are ( non coiled )Straight Springs running longitudinally which worked in a twisting motion rather than a compaction of coils...
Only act one end against the other.. of the same spring... when the car tries to tilt to one side or the other... it works against that... not wanting to bend..
So if you have taken care of the Squeak... you may not need to replace the Sway Bars or their bushings...
Mostly correct, but on a w123 and w126, the sway bar also positions the upper control arm.

My drivers:
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5-5SPEED!!!

1987 300TD
1987 300TD
1994GMC 2500 6.5Turbo truck... I had to put the ladder somewhere!