View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 11:51 PM
ttownthomas

W126 lost engine and electrical while driving

So...I sent my Becker off to get repaired (and upgraded with Bluetooth). Installed it. The antenna still does nothing and its bent so I assume the previous owner burned it up.

Anyway, I was driving tonight, starting to go on longer trips to develop trust in the old girl. I had been going for about 20 minutes.

Had the radio on, tape deck (Bluetooth) playing, headlights and fog lights on, switched on the ac (defogger) and then the rear defroster, then the right side blinker and hit the brakes to turn.

Just as I turn the corner everything shuts off.

Lost: engine, lights, radio, brake lights, even the interior lights would not come on. I had to coast in the dark to the curb. Fortunately I had turned onto a side street.

I wiggled the battery cables, seemed tight.
I looked at all the fuses, mostly aluminum but none blown
Wiggled the relays in the fuse box.
spun all the fuses

Got in the car. Now the interior lights are back on. Start the car. It fires right up. Still had on the ac & rear defroster. When I turn on the headlights it dies again.

Wiggle battery cables, wiggle relays, spin fuses

Turn off ac, turn off defrost, car starts. This time it does not quit. Drove home.

my best guess is dissimilar metal corrosion in the fuse panel? I was planning to replace all the fuses anyway. Probably should wire brush the battery terminals and cables too, they were tight though.

The battery light never came on so at this point I think the alternator is probably ok. I'll check it for proper charging voltage anyway. What voltage reading should I get at the alternator?

Am I missing anything obvious?