View Single Post
Old 02-10-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal_chemical View Post
I have an83 om617 in my wrangler. I just put a new alternator in it and it still won’t charge. If anyone else has done this swap can you please run me through where the wires go that pertain to charging? I have one from battery to alt, one from battery to starter, and one from battery to the distribution doodad. I’m reading only 12 volts.
Assuming you have the stock Alternator with the connector that as 2 wide slots and one slot that is narrow.

The Narrow Slot on the Mercedes would go to the charging (idiot Light) and the Light Bulb needs to be at least 3 watts (some sources say 4 watts) and that provides enough resistance to excite the Alternator to charge. The Wire that goes to that on my Car is a thin blue colored wire.

Also part of the Alternator Circuit appears to go into the Head Light Switch. However, I don't know how that works or effects the charging.

The 2 fat red wires (that go to the 2 large slots on the connector) appear to both eventually end up connected to the + Battery voltage.

If someone could post a free online site of the Mercedes Manual and you could look at the wiring diagram.