View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxfrank View Post
Resistance isn't essential. You could put a piece of wire in place of the bulb and the alternator would still function normally. In fact, a lot of shade tree installations are done just that way. The resistor is suggested because in the event of a shorted battery cell (for example), the current would rise to infinity and burn out the alternator trio or D+ wiring without some sort of protection. The OP was using a fuse for this purpose.
"Many systems also had a resistor in parallel with the lamp. This is so that the alternator could still charge if the battery indicator lamp had burned out..."

And yet the aritlcle has it that the altnator could still charge (if the bulb was out) implying that if the Bulb was burned out and there was no resistor (and there is no resistor in my year and model only the Bulb) the Alternator would not charge.

I know when I made the below test cord it worked with the Bulb in the test cord circuit.

Please note that I supplied info beyond my opinion on the subject. I hope my Book will turn up so I can see exactly what Bosch has to say the function of the light is.

I know on the older AC Delco Alternators with the internal votage regulator if you had a Voltmeter instead of the charging light on your car inside of the Alternator is a resistor. If your Car has the charging light the Alternator will not have the resistor inside. But that alternator works on differenlty then the Bosch one does.
Attached Thumbnails
83 om617 charging issues in my wrangler-alternator-test-cord-drawing-feb-10.jpg   83 om617 charging issues in my wrangler-alternator-test-cord-bulb-feb-10-18.jpg  

Last edited by Diesel911; 02-13-2018 at 01:12 AM.