View Single Post
Old 04-08-2003, 07:44 PM

Love/hate relationship with my MB

I purchased my car after 2+yrs of looking for exactly the car I wanted. I love the way it drives, the engineering, and just about everything about it. What gets me down is the nickle-and-dime string of repairs I have had to deal with.
Upon purchase: adjust valves, replace 2 glowplugs, rebuild monovalve, change belts, coolant/rad cap, oil, atf, diff lube, brake fluid. Replace master cylinder reservoir seals and get frontend alignment. Clear out all water drains.
Next: Back to alignment shop, car pulls, find sticky front caliper, replace caliper. Wierd intermitant coolant leak. Try 2nd rad cap.
Next: Replace lower balljoint boots, 1 tierod boot. Wierd intermitant coolant leak.
Next: Rebuild badly sagging drivers seat spring box
Next: Rear CV boot starts leaking badly. Replace both axles. One axle blows immediately, replaced again.
Next: Funny occasional groan in frontend while braking. Replace front wheel bearings/races, find other caliper is bad, replace caliper, new brake pads.
Next: Cruise control goes haywire. Diagnose with GDL instructions, try junkyard cruise amp, works for a bit then craps out again. I will be installing an aftermarket system.
Next: Tear cooling system apart looking for leak, replace thermostat.
Next: Auxilliary waterpump stops working. Replace with junkyard piece and modify/update wiring to protect ACC unit. Think I finally fixed the mystery coolant leak.
Today: Rear window decides to start leaking on both sides into trunk. I know she needs rear brakes. Hopefully the calipers will be okay.... Front pinion seal seeping oil now too.
I really love the car but I am tiring of the seemingly endless stream of little issues. I know that I will get to a point where I will have gotten ahead of the problems and fixed/repaired/replaced every item that needs it. Until then it seems like an uphill battle. Ah, the joys of old cars. Sorry just had to vent. RT
93' Chevrolet C2500HD ExCab 6.5TD, Two-tone blue, 252K