View Single Post
Old 02-18-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyl604 View Post
I agree with all said however I wonder if they are adjusted properly. With a wheel in the air you should be able to turn the wheel but not freely; it should have some resistance from the brakes. Hard to describe but it should take just a bit of force with both hands to turn it and it should not spin.
If anything, I might have them just a tiny bit too tight. The rear brakes are complicated to adjust and it involves adjusting the front and rear bottom part and then the front and rear center part and then the bottom and then the center until you get the bottom as far out as it can be without stopping the wheel and then the center until it just makes contact.

The front brakes are easier to adjust since they have two wheel cylinders on each, and only two adjustment bolts for the center for each wheel, instead of 4 like the rear.
Quote:
In the old days you adjusted this with a brake spoon and the star wheel inside the brakes which pushes the brake shoes out against the drum. A screwdriver worked too.
I think that would actually be easier, but this car doesn't have the star wheel thing.
Quote:
And as I remember if you bled each brake the brake pedal, when finished, should go down about maybe an inch or so before you had brakes. Not two inches or more.
Well, it goes down a lot more than 2 inches (non-power brakes). I'm stumped by my ability to lock up only the front left wheel (even after re-adjusting).