View Single Post
Old 03-04-2018, 09:05 PM

Well, the fuel-pump seal kit arrived three weeks ago, but my schedule and weather prevented doing anything until last week. When I got the pump all apart, I discovered the motor's copper brush-holders had become brittle and their securing-tabs had cracked off in the fiber insulator. They both popped loose when I opened the motor!
So, I had to run back to my friend's place to pull his #2 spare pump off the car.
Fortunately, after I got home and had pump #2 apart, I found the brush-holder assembly undamaged.
Unfortunately, I couldn't simply go ahead and reseal pump #2, as it had deep gouges from someone attacking it with a sharp tool, and one of the ears for the rubber mounts was completely stripped!
So I had to carefully drill out rivets to release and transfer the brush-holder assembly.
Otherwise, #2 pump's bottom-cover was actually in better shape, so it wound up on pump #1 as well.
Combining the best of both pumps, I finally had one running, non-leaking pump to install on the SE this afternoon.
The SE started right up and ran fine, with no leaks. But a month of sitting outside in the wet had taken a toll, as the gas-pedal kept hanging up in 'cruise-control' mode, making for some scary driving!
I had to practically hose down some of the accelerator bushings with ATF to free them, especially the one under the exhaust manifold.

Happy Motoring, Mark