View Single Post
Old 03-26-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzi View Post
Used regularly, I’d bet an early k-jet is less prone to failure or the need for maintenance. D-jets will likely have solid lifters and points each needing adjustment. Plus other parts more prone to failure. I do like the system better than a k-jet for some reason. Something very “vintage” about maintaining it.
Glad to hear you like the Djets Fonzi

One big plus for the early D-Jets, is that they don't have the plastic timing chain guides that all 107s after 1973 have. Those guides are prone to failure, sometimes catastrophic and changing them is no easy task.

I have only owned Djet. It certainly lends itself to the DIYer. Parts can be a problem - they are available new and used, but prices have been climbing. It helps to have spare ECU, MPS (manifold pressure sensor), Trigger points (or complete distributor) and AAV (aux air valve). A means of checking mixture such as a CO analyser or AFR instruments is a big help in fine tuning. Replacing ignition points with a Petronix is always a good move.

Personally, I wouldn't swap my Djet for a K-jet. May be a case of better the devil you know But really, I have had my Djet for almost 30 years with minimal problems. No shops understand them anymore, so you NEED to be a DIYer!