View Single Post
Old 04-23-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torsionbar View Post
Can you share what the dealer charged for this repair? Just curious for comparison for when I take mine in.

I thought the electrical portion of the ignition switch would be easy to replace and not require a dealer trip, no? I was planning to buy this part, but I didn't think it required any re-coding? Sounds like I should let the dealer sort this one out.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/3742/MBZ_3742_ELIGNT_pg2.htm
I was able to dig up some info on my problem, it was December 2010. I don't have the cost but it was definitely under $1000 for the switch and labor. I'm sure it's something you could call and get a price from the dealer.

Here is a note I found from an email describing my problem:
When the car does not start there is no ground coming out of pin 17 from the ECM (N3/7). It is very easy the check this. Put an ohm meter on pin 2, connector I on the K40/4 relay. This ground excites the coil of relay k2 on the K40/4 relay. This relay controls the starter. When the car does start there is a ground coming out of pin 17 from the ECM closing the k2 relay, powering the starter.

If you perform this check and have the same results I would replace the ignition switch.

Another note I found was trying a different key. By any chance did you try a different key?