View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 11:23 AM
dieselarchitect

Hi Mark,
I understand you don't worry about frost but be sure to get down to soil that is good bearing, meaning not too much organic material in it to deteriorate and let your footing settle. Also building so it could be shimmed later would be a good though too.

1. Pick your points for the outermost portion of your deck on each side, then
2. establish where your two outer corners will be (assuming the deck is rectangular) and put in a temporary stake or marker then measure the diagonals from the point on the house.
3. then adjust your stakes until the diagonals are equal. It should be square at that point, meaning 90 degree angles at each corner.

If the deck is irregular you can start this way then measure off the strings tied from corner to corner to establish points inside the perimeter. Its not hard, just dig in and it will become apparent.....easy compared to the mechanical adventures you do all the time on our mercedes diesels.

Feel free to pm if clarity is not immediate.
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.