View Single Post
Old 04-30-2018, 10:38 PM
https://fintail.org

I ordered some compressor fittings as the ones I had ordered years ago didn't seem to be angled correctly. I ordered a #8 45 degree and a #10 180 degree, both without service ports because there isn't enough room at the back of the compressor for that to be a suitable location. I ordered a couple service ports that I will put inline with the hoses. I also ordered several feet of #8 and #10 barrier hose I so I can make my own hoses and will then have them crimped at a shop.

I started trying to remove the center console. It's a difficult task, anyway, but it seemed really stuck even though I thought I had all of the screws removed. I also removed the front seatbelt guides but it was still not budging. The plastic braces of the console were already broken and the parts were never able to be attached to it securely, and it started to rip. Finally, in frustration, I tore the console to shreds. It turns out there were two screws still holding in the console at the rear. Oh, well. I felt really upset about destroying the center console as it's not like you can just buy spare interior parts for these cars. Good luck finding a used brown center console (and brown dashes in good condition are completely impossible to find).

I do have a spare brown console that I removed from a car I parted out. The plastic braces are in good condition, but the vinyl is cracked all over. It will have to do. I ended up destroying the corner of the dashboard when I was pulling it out. I really despise W116 interiors. I also gave the glovebox door a few punches because it kept popping open when I was trying to loosen the zip ties for the wires that were attached along the bottom of the dashboard.

I look at the automatic climate control and can't believe anyone would make something so complicated.

I removed the heater box. I'm going to do what I can to simplify the system. I pulled out the manual system I have and it turns out the heater box is cracked and broken. Rabbits chewed up much of the wire harness and cables. Even the manual system seems overly complicated with vacuum controls all over. I might end up ditching the Mercedes climate control entirely and make something using universal controls and wiring.

DON'T MESS WITH MY MERCEDES!

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Highly Optioned, 350,000+ Miles

Last edited by Squiggle Dog; 05-01-2018 at 12:21 PM.