View Single Post
Old 05-02-2018, 07:56 AM
dieselfuelinjector.guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post
I can't get a good picture in my mind of what you mean by the deck in the way but it might be easier to first establish one perpendicular line.

Perhaps the 5, 12, 13 triangle would work. Or you could use any numbers.

You want to go out 16 feet. Say you have 6 feet you can use easily going parallel to the house. 16^2 + 6^2 = 292. Square root of that is 17.09, or about 17-1/16. Maybe get a 16 foot wire arrangement (stretches less than string), pull it out from the point and play with moving it side to side until you get the 17 foot mearsurment from the 6 foot spot.

I could imagine that using diagonols on both sides from the start could be lot of moving around. If you establish one perpindicular, will be quicker to use diagonols to get the other one and then check it against itself. Also, consider that an equilateral trapezoid will have matching diagonals.

To avoid that you would also need to make sure that BC = AD. Using diagonals would be easier, I'm thinking, on laying out a rectangular form as you have the four sides of your rectangle in place, in that case BC will = AD. In your case, the line BC is sort of floating at this point, assuming that the line AD is the wall of your house.

Hey, thank you !

Right now, I have a 10 x 10 deck. I need to tear it down and replace it but I am replacing it with a 16 x 22 deck. I do not want to remove the current deck until I dig the "footers" (12 x 12 concrete going down maybe 12" to 18" max). Using 6x6 posts vs. 4x4. I can dig and put in place the side ones and the ones on the 'outside.' By keeping the old deck in place, I am not getting yelled at by my family for not having a deck. Once the footers are in place, cured for a week or two. I can set those posts on metal plates although not 100% permantly -- I can make fine tuned adjustments. I can do the tear down in half a day and do the clean up and probably the other half of the day install the outside perimeter. Having the footers on the money will make this painless for me.