View Single Post
Old 05-03-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuene View Post
even though my compressor isn't seized, I wonder if I should just as well replace the compressor with one that I know the history of. I'll know how much and what kind of oil is in there. I'm replacing all the seals I can get to, plus the drier, and the expansion valve - might as well get new compressor right?

A few folks on here have mentioned using the 4 season "heavy" compressor part 58231. When I check compatibility on 4 seasons website, they say it's not compatible with the 1982 300d. The only 4 season compressor that matches according to them is the 58228.

Does anyone know if the heavy (58231) is indeed compatible, and what benefits might the heavy version bring if so?

Does anyone know if either of these, when purchased through pep boys or other distributors, comes with the various sealing washer set?

Would either or both of these require a different kind of belt/pully that what would normally be on a stock 1982?

Separate question, should I absolutely replace the pressure sensor with new when I replace the drier?

Thanks all - taking my time, really absorbing the advice given here. Looks like i'm in deeper than I had planned, but I'm learning.
I would replace the compressor. I tried to reseal a used light R4 and it didn't perform well and didn't last. Based on my experience, I would recommend the reman in Mexico 4 Seasons R4 heavy compressor, and not a new 4 Seasons light compressor. On the box of compressor I bought from Pepboys, pics showed a light compressor but inside the box was a heavy. So make sure you open the box to look before buying. I think new 4 Seasons are lights but the rebuilts can be either light or heavy. IMO, the heavy R4's runs smoother with the bigger rotating mass of the bigger clutch.

I would not replace any of the hoses based on my experience, unless you enjoy doing more work/ spending more money than necessary. Do replace all the o-rings, pressure test the system to insure there are no leaks before charging with refrigerant.