View Single Post
Old 05-05-2018, 08:48 AM

Go see it in the morning after it's been sitting at least 12 hours. Pop the hood and squeeze the upper radiator hose. Is it compliant or rock hard? Open the coolant cap. Is there a hiss from pressure trapped inside? Look inside the coolant bottle. Is it clean or is there a grayish coating on the inside? Start the engine with the coolant cap off then go look inside the bottle with the engine still cold. Do you notice any vapors rising from the coolant?
https://youtu.be/AHjF1xyZwhI
With the engine still cold after start up, close the coolant cap and wait 30 sec then open it again. Does it open with a hiss?

If you experience any of these symptoms, you have a blown #14 head. I drove my bad #14 head over 50k miles but I planned for it's replacement from day 1 which I'm doing now. It never lost power or compression. I drove it hard every day until the amount if combustion escaping through the coolant bottle got so bad that I could hear it burping every minute.

All #14 heads eventually fail. It's not a matter of if but when. If you drive it hard and plan to replace the head. If you're already experiencing the symptoms I described above, plan to replace it sooner.

Last edited by tjts1; 05-05-2018 at 09:15 AM.