View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 04:44 PM

W123 from Thailand to Alaska

BLUF: I'm looking for an engine block heater for a 1979 280E (European Spec, although I think it would be the same as the US Spec).

Back Story:
My family and I were living in Khon Kaen, Thailand for the past 3 years. When we first got there, I bought this car. It was originally made in Germany and brought to Thailand in 1981 by a German diplomat. It then bounced around between British and American diplomats, but remained in Thailand. My toddler girl and I did a lot of the work to the car ourselves. Then, right before leaving Thailand, we had it stripped to metal and repainted (in the same original color). The car is in really great shape now and I couldn't bare to part with it because of how attached my little girl became to the car.

So, I paid probably about the entire value of the car in shipping expenses and shipped it from Thailand to Alaska. Now that I'm in Alaska, I don't plan on driving the car in the winter much. But I would like it to be an option. When winter rolls around, I'll put studded tires on it. But I also need a trickle charger on the battery, an oil pan heater, and an engine block heater.

I can't seem to find an engine block heater that I know will fit this engine. Can someone point me to one? I can't be the first person to want to use this car in a cold environment.