View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 09:37 PM
https://fintail.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLGUY View Post
"I was hoping that would be good enough since there will be a large "loop" in each of the hoses" I think that would be more of a problem, and I hope I can explain my reasoning behind it. If the curvature of the hose is in line with it's natural routing, there should be no pressure on the aluminum fittings. If there is a "loop" or any excess hose, it will put lateral pressure (hose wanting to go straight) on the fitting. This will surely cause an aluminum fitting to break. With steel fittings, any excess length or bends in the hose will have no effect on the fittings. The hose will eventually take a set. I had this problem with the first retrofit I did. The A/C shop made the hoses for me, and all they had was aluminum fittings. It was less than a month later, I went back for a vac and charge after finding and replacing the aluminum fittings with steel (got the crimper and a supply of hose for myself).
The way I had planned this is the 180 degree low pressure fitting would point toward the front of the vehicle and would then gradually curve upward at the area behind the headlight and then curve back toward the hose holder on the inner fender and into the firewall. Then the 45 degree high pressure fitting would point toward the back of the vehicle and slightly upward and then the hose would curve up and then toward the front of the vehicle and then curve down and attach to the condenser inlet pipe.

I was wanting to design a lot of give in the hoses so that the fittings wouldn't be so affected by vibration and if the compressor ever needed to be removed from the engine and set aside.

It sounds that I should get steel compressor fittings, though. The aluminum inline service ports with R-12 fittings should be adequate.

DON'T MESS WITH MY MERCEDES!

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Highly Optioned, 350,000+ Miles