View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 03:49 AM
https://fintail.org

ROLLGUY tried to help get a better deal on the compressor fittings, but acparts.com's prices were about as low as they get, so I ended up ordering from them. Unfortunately, a couple days later they called me and said most of the parts were out of stock, but they think they'll be able to order them and have them in stock next week. It seems I always need the odd-sized things.

I've been spending a lot of time trying to find replacement firewall grommets. So many of them are no longer available! Some other rubber parts I wanted to buy are ridiculous. $35 for a rubber boot for the pressure switch, $67 each for firewall drain tubes (fortunately I found some used ones), $119 for a little heater hose... I think the golden age for affordably owning a W116 and having good parts availability is starting to pass.

The manual climate control case I was planning to use is cracked. Fortunately, I have another one, but it doesn't have air conditioning. I think I will use the heater-only case because it's in better condition, and will put the air conditioning parts into it. Unfortunately, the W116 heating and air conditioning service manual states that in the event of evaporator leaks or flap malfunction in cases made before January 1979, the entire case assembly must be replaced because it is not possible to take it apart without damaging the case. What?! I'm hoping it's just because they used a mastic sealer between the parts, which can be replaced with butyl cord.

Another unfortunate thing I noticed is that both manual climate control cases I have only have two drains instead of four. Manual cllimate control cases with two drains:

The W116 heating and air conditioning service manual states that in September 1977, two additional drains were added for faster removal of condensate. The automatic climate control case with four drains:

With the way the cases are designed, I can't just swap the section of the automatic climate control case with the extra drains without having the extra parts on top like vacuum pods and ETR switch. I'd probably rather just live with only having two drains than having all those extra automatic climate control parts on top. But, I really want the two extra drains because I'm going to be running the air conditioning constantly, year-round. I might try to add two extra drains to the bottom of the manual climate control case. The only way I can think to add them that won't eventually leak and cause water to drip on the floor is to drill holes (there are molding lines where they would go) and then insert a plastic tube on each side and use a plastic welding system to run a bead on both the inside and outside so the tubes are firmly attached and won't leak.

DON'T MESS WITH MY MERCEDES!

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Highly Optioned, 350,000+ Miles