View Single Post
Old 05-14-2018, 12:05 AM

I had a new R4 and was easily able to turn the shaft by hand. I did that on the bench, and it helps force all the PAG oil out. Otherwise, you could install it, tension the belt, and use the engine to turn it over before you bolt on the hose manifold.

Don't need to use the starter, just put a wrench on the bolt on the power steering pump to turn the engine over by hand. As many times as I've done that, I just thought that a diesel could theoretically start from turning it by hand. But, without the glow plugs and turning so slowly, I doubt it could ever start. You will need to actuate the AC clutch, which you can do by pulling the relay and jumping terminal 30 to 87 in the socket w/ a wire.

Most people bolt on the tubes and fill the oil by pouring it down the suction tube, which can be disconnected just above the compressor. If you try to pre-fill, the oil will just run out until you get the tube manifold on. I would rotate the engine (or just compressor) while doing this, to insure you don't hydro-lock the compressor. Actually, that sounds impossible since the outlet valves are just flapper plates which can always open. But, seems smart to distribute the oil regardless.