View Single Post
Old 05-17-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony H View Post
Almost every car(and truck) manufactured today has an electric fan so I think the advantages are obvious. There is constant parasitic loss from the belt driven fan even when not engaged. Also a slowly rotating fan actually reduces air flow through the radiator at highway speed. The Lincoln VIII fan is what you should consider. You can get them at the Pick and Pull cheap and they move incredible air. It is almost exactly the same size as the fan shroud on my 3.5. There is a proportional controller available that only runs the fan at the speed needed instead of on/off like most electric fans. You will need an upgraded alternator.

Electric Radiator Fans - Hot Rod Network

Electric Fan Conversion Using the Notorious Lincoln Mark VIII Fan - FordMuscle

constant temperature controllers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracurrie View Post
I bought this car to be a daily driver and as it is not a coveted model loss of originality isn't a issue.
I hope to gain better cooling in traffic.
Eliminate fan noise when accelerating.
Control strategies would use existing temperature sensors and relays.
I would guess the change in energy consumption would be the added power for the alternator, but I do not know that for sure.
Brad
Tony H has covered an important point with respect to fan noise; a proportional, variable speed controller is required to minimize noise.

As to cooling, look first to the overall condition of the water system, and particularly to an area that is almost always overlooked: the water pump housing. The inside surface of the pump housing is shaped to match the shape of the blades of the pump impeller. Over time, the effects of corrosion/erosion will increase the clearance between the impeller and the housing, which increases the internal bypass/leakage. The leakage is a greater percentage of the nominal pump displacement at low pump speeds than at higher speeds. The usual case is that cooling system performance that is acceptable at highway speeds is rather poor at lower in-town speeds. Increased airflow may be of some help, but will not compensate for low water flow.

Last edited by Frank Reiner; 05-17-2018 at 10:52 PM.