View Single Post
Old 04-13-2003, 01:44 PM
Feathered Member
Originally posted by artpb
The good news is they are almost always worth fixing. I budjet about $800 per year for maintenance on my 300SD. Over 5 years that's $4000. A big expense one year may be balanced out by minimal expenses in ensuing years. Think long term! These cars were designed for the long hall.

If you bought a less than well maintained car then it will take a few years to catch up with the issues. However if repairs are effected with Mercedes parts you are looking at another 100,000 plus miles before you have to face these problems again. Not considering normal maintenance items of course.

I probably save enough on insurance on my older cars to pay for most of the maintenance costs.
The problem has been "big expenses" EVERY YEAR! I bought this car brand new from the dealership...I have taken it to the dealership for oil and fluid changes as is parked in a heated in Vancouver is mild so there are no extreme winter colds or extreme summer heats to really play havoc on a car's systems...but the car still has problems...I assume the car came with genuine M-B parts from the dealership didn't it? well, I have 46,700km on the odometer...nothing compared to the 100,000miles that you say...and they break...I've got W140 S500 and W126 560SEL in the family, and although the bills/repairs have not been as excessive as the E420, there are still very substantial bills...I've always sorta turned a blind eye because...afterall, it is a Mercedes...but this is really just gettin' to the point of bein' ridiculous...sigh
1995 black pearl/black Mercedes-Benz E420 :