View Single Post
Old 05-23-2018, 12:05 AM

If the ESP/ABS/BAS faults occur in the same location(s), check your outer tie rods.

Late last year I began throwing ESP/ABS/BAS codes on the exact same stretch of road. It was so predictable that I could tell a passenger, "watch this: 3...2...1.. Boom" and the lights would illuminate.

During that time, one of my outer tie rods became really worn and bent. The star on my steering wheel, when traveling in a straight line, was off-center, at about 1:00 instead of 12:00. If I was on a banked road, I would need to turn the steering wheel further to the right (about 2:00) to keep the car from drifting to the left.

If this happened above about 70mph -- which was the case where/when my errors occurred -- the steering angle sensor would trigger the ESP/ABS/BAS, evidently because it considered the speed/steering wheel position implausible. After replacing the worn tie rod, the problem was resolved.

EDIT: Additional sign are if the yellow ESP triangle suddenly begins flickering on some sweeping turns at lower speeds (when in the past it never happened). This was also eliminated after the defective tie rod was replaced.

------------------------------------
Gone but not Forgotten:
2001 E430 4matic, 206,xxx miles, Black/Charcoal
1995 E320, 252,xxx miles, Black/Grey
1989 260E, 223,00 miles, Black/Black