View Single Post
Old 08-04-2000, 07:21 AM

Status update. I haven't put a wrench to it yet except to drain the radiator, pull the plugs and turn it over to clear the cylinders. Not much came out, but I didn't want to let it sit and rust a cylinder that may have had coolant in it.

I got out my piece of #@(% American Sports Car to drive. It did okay until Monday coming home, the speed sensor that feeds the computer went out, had to drop the exhaust system to get to it, and hassle with the dealer for a couple of days to get the right part. In the interim, I drove the 240D. It has always had a homing instinct and the clutch did good enough to get by for a couple of days. I got the piece of #@(% back together last night, and I'm driving it today, although I know that something will break on the General Motors piece of #@(% at any second.

So, assuming the piece of #@(% gets me home this evening, I will get the clutch done on the 240D tomorrow, and then should be out of the woods and have transportation with the piece of #@(% as a backup. This gives me time to pull the head on the 300E.

After thinking about it awhile and hearing the opinions of everyone here, I feel comfortable that a head surface and head gasket would get it back in good shape. However, you know how it is, with the head off, I'll get a valve job, guides and seals. My worry is that after that it may not do as well as it did before I melted it down. Before the incident it used NO oil, and ran as close to perfect as I could imagine.

Assuming I also get past the problems with my daughters car this weekend, (I'm hopeful that Steve Brotherton's suggestion that the problem may be timing) I will start tearing apart the 300E the following weekend.

I am spending 2 1/2 weeks in Europe beginning the day after labor day, and I am going to see if I can get some things for it while I'm there. With the DeutscheMark at 2.0 things are pretty reasonable over there right now. We'll see. I will at least plan on getting all new hoses over there, just to see how the pricing works out. I'll probably get the rest of the parts from the PartsShop especially if the project moves along well before I leave. I may not last long working in the heat though.

Thanks for the interest and the excuse to ramble about my car problems.

Have a great day,

Larry Bible
'84 Euro 240D, 523K miles
'88 300E 5 Speed
'81 300D Daughter's Car
Over 800,000 miles in
Mercedes automobiles