View Single Post
Old 08-18-2000, 07:35 AM

Thanks for the note. I drained the cooling system and pulled the plugs a few days after the big cry. I then squirted oil in the back two cylinders which, from looking at the plugs, appeared to be where the problem is. I turned the engine over a little to coat the cylinders with oil.

Last weekend, I moved my daughters car out of a bay where I can center the car under my walking beam. I will use the chain hoist to lift the head with manifolds attached off the engine. The manual shows two lift points and says to pull it off this way.

I ordered parts, including a headbolt socket and puller for the guide rail pin from Mshop, it should be here next week. So, next weekend I plan on the pulling the head, so I can leave it at the machine shop while I'm in Europe.

I feel very confident that a blown head gasket is all that I will find. I will, of course, with the head off, do guides and a valve job as well as straightening the head. With a little luck, I won't have any surprises when the head comes off.

Weekend before last I put a clutch in my 240D and I've been driving it. When the clutch went out in the old 240D and I started driving the 300E, I said that I didn't think I'd ever be able to go back to ol' Silver, but necessity dictates many things in life. There is such a HUGE difference in driving a 123 and a 124.

Thanks for your interest,

Larry Bible
'84 Euro 240D, 523K miles
'88 300E 5 Speed
'81 300D Daughter's Car
Over 800,000 miles in
Mercedes automobiles