View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetops View Post
Hi Folks,
Changed the oil and rotated the tires today as well as looked over the front suspension and noticed the drivers side Spring Perch is in bad shape. The rear wing has rusted free which to me means it will fail soon.

I see that a fellow member just did the perch replacement, but that seems outside of my capabilities. Does any one have recent experience and costs info on getting this done at either a dealer or and Indy?

Some photos of the spring perch.

Just a word of caution, I had my 96 E300d up on a lift to have the tires rotated, and I inspected both spring perches at that time. Everything looked fine, with the factory coating showing no signs of a problem. Two weeks later, I had the car parked in front of the house overnight, and when I woke up the next morning, the passenger side of the car was leaning as if it had a flat. Upon inspection, I found the passenger side fender was sitting on top of the tire, the spring perch had failed, and the spring itself had split in two and was laying on the ground. If I had been traveling on the highway at 60-70 mph, there would have been no way to steer the car and in all probability I would have had a MAJOR ACCIDENT. There was absolutely NO warning or outward sign that anything was in need of repair prior to the event, but when the perch let go, you could see that the entire passenger side of the engine compartment had rusted from the inside out without any indication.