View Single Post
Old 06-04-2018, 12:44 PM

240D dumped its coolant, belts slack

Quote:
Originally Posted by funola View Post
Is this a known documented issue with 240D's? It seems odd that Mercedes would design the crankshaft pulley components to be not strong enough to withstand a seized AC compressor. The 6 bolts that fasten the pulley certainly look strong enough to smoke the AC belt instead of shearing the bolts.

Funola, good to see you here! Apparently it is not a rare occurrence, and the 4 cylinder has a history of backing out the six allens over time (due to the potential for additional vibration as I understand it) whereby when the AC/PS/WP seizes, you’re likely not playing with a full deck but maybe only 3-4 (or less) screws and it sheers off as a result. What sucks here is that from some of my old videos you can see that even after a three day cold start, I had zero engine shake/vibration, so I’m betting that rust probably played a greater role in the degradation of my six allens than vibration/backing out.

As to the AC specifically, I actually asked him whether it made sense to just remove the AC belt but not replace it because my AC doesn’t work and it would decrease liability if the AC compressor were to seize - he said that certainly makes sense.

They refilled it with coolant (I bet mostly water) to check for leaks after letting it run briefly but found none. I’ll ask about the water pump bearing/weep hole check too, but expect it back this week. We have our local concours event this weekend and my guy’s shop is entering an insane restoration of a 1952 Porsche 356 so I know they are cranking this week.

His car, not mine:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by 240Dee; 06-04-2018 at 03:37 PM.