View Single Post
Old 06-04-2018, 08:25 PM

Hi all,

I gave an inaccurate citation for the factory service manual. It was not printed in 1959; rather it covers vehicles from August 1959 to December 1967.

- My water pump does not have a zerk fitting, and is not tapped for one.

- Schedule E service is recommended after every 12k mile cycle. If an expected pump life is hypotheically 100k miles, that's 8 "E" schedule lubrications of, say, 2 drops of 90w gear oil. So would 16 drops of oil substantively degrade the factory installed water pump? I don't know. Maybe the factory had to settle with the technology of the day. If the nylon elements start breaking down, even at say, 50k miles, then so be it. Remember, the factory wanted the owner to get the chassis and other mechanicals lubed every 2k miles. They expected that a factory trained mechanic would be looking at this car on a very regular basis and that there would be very few failures/surprises for the diligent owner.

- Oh, the Weep Hole. Interestingly, there is no mention of looking for water seepage from the hole as a sign of pump failure in the big manual. I've read accounts by owners of various makes of cars about their tell-tale weep holes. I would guess that this design would also show seepage as a pump failure.

I looked at my pump with a mirror, and can not find a manufacturer's name on the exterior. Is that itself telling? Did the factory pumps have part numbers or names on the exteriors?

Jeffrey - Yeah, thank goodness battery technology has advanced. By the way, love that Emerald Bullet of yours. Keep up the good work and fun!