View Single Post
Old 06-07-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz Dr. View Post
Check your fuel pressure and volume.
Thank you for your suggestion. BTW still haven't checked to see if the flyweights in distributor are sticking.
But I am curious why you believe that fuel pressure and volume may be the problem? Do I need to check it when the car exhibits the symptom? Or can fuel pressure and volume be a little low and it not effect the car until it gets hot? (getting hot occurs after driving the car for say 30 minutes when the ambient temp outside is around 65 F or higher. Indicated engine temp is nominal so this isn't an engine running too hot.)
A thought that was suggested to me in conversation involved the behavior of the injection pump. It probably could use an overhaul and recalibration anyway.
Another thing pertains to the injectors. When I first started driving the car last year and when it got hot it would buck some under heavy throttle with load pulling from 2,000 rpm. If I drove it for an hour at highway speeds the car would barely idle and would buck more at even higher rpms. I used several tanks of gas with B-12 cleaner and it bucked way less, idled better and started easier. Then after another tank or two it began to buck more and it idled poorly. A check of plugs indicated that #3 injector was leaking or stuck open. I replaced the injector and that fixed the rough idle and before things got hot there was very little bucking and it would idle smoothly. But again after driving it say 30 minutes where it gets hot the bucking would come back.
I will check the distributor and fuel system to eliminate those possibilities, then I will send out the injectors to be cleaned and checked. After that I will get the injection pump serviced.
Thanks to everyone posting replies to this thread.
Brad