View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 03:07 AM
Chairman of my Benz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_bob View Post
So is there anyone on here with experience with the VW issue, was that a mandatory buyback (i.e. did the government force you to turn your car into VW and receive a check) or were you allowed to keep it if you wanted to? Just curious if they are coming for my 2014 ML350, my wife will be severely upset, she loves that vehicle and does NOT want a gas burner.
You have the option to keep your vehicle or have VW buy it back. 300,000 vehicles were sold back to VW because the buyback payout was too good to pass up. People were making money on their buyback.

Quote:
I heard there are hundreds of thousands of TDIs parked in the Mojave waiting for a settlement, and then a software update, and then VW plans on selling them as used cars.
Mojave is one place. There are 37 facilities around the US parking 300,000 TDI's that will be updated or if the vehicle found in poor condition will be scrapped.

Quote:
I am hoping some sanity can come back to the EPA, and we can get the unobtainable standards relaxed to where we can reasonably produce these cars without having to resort to unreasonable technology chasing the last bits of pollutants. I’m not saying we need to go back to the 60s where black clouds billowed out of everything but just back to where it’s sensible.
It's not unobtainable. Just as posted earlier, how can other automakers can comply. In VW and Bosch's case, it's culture within the companies that allowed engineers who were scared of upper management to cheat.