View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHZR2 View Post
Not being argumentative, but what exactly else would you say it is?

I mean, it's a salt and rust free 240D that had about 71k at the time. Uses zeronoil. Runs great on the highway. Maybe a bit rough at idle but I'm doing valves and mounts currently. It's not like this is an old, poor condition car.

Look at how clean the block is:

When I took the fan bolts out the other day, they were like new.

I'm just not seeing the plausibility of corroded bolts or other means of failure. My new compressor is a bit crooked, but it only manifested itself this year as a noisy belt.
That "clean block" photo looks like someone cleaned just the area where the engine casting numbers are so it's legible while everything else around it is black and gunky.

The issue here is not corroded bolts, it's those 6 bolts that some how came loose, backed out and eventually sheared off. If those bolts did not come loose, you would not be having this problem.

How did they come loose? I can think of a few reasons:

1. From the factory. Maybe the torque-ing of those bolts was done on a Friday afternoon and a lot of beer was consumed?

2. Someone R&R those 6 bolts and did not replace with new bolts, did not torque them to spec, and did not use Loctite.