View Single Post
Old 06-10-2018, 12:41 PM
Renaissances Dude

'Advancement' is in some ways a debatable concept. What I can see of those people in the film and photos shows some really healthy looking people. Study of skeletons from hunter/gatherer eras reportedly shows people more sturdy and robust than those of us from modern agrarian societies.

None of those people are paying off a mortgage, none of them are in debt from medical costs, none of them have been compelled to travel halfway around the world to fight some presumed enemy.

They don't have painless dentistry but neither do they have soda pop. I think it laudable that the Indian govt. leaves them alone. They don't attempt to prosecute islanders for killing people who venture into their territory.

But one wonders if they will eventually be corrupted by modernity. Video can be seen of them accepting coconuts as a gift. If they get into regular trade with outsiders, it will likely be the beginning of the end of their way of life.

One vid I saw claimed that it's unlikely they know how to make fire. One imagines that flint might be hard to come by on that island.