View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 01:45 AM
DD MOD, HVAC,MCP,Mac,GMAC

So... Jay_bob listed his TD FOR SALE...

And he twisted my arm, and... well,

I drove it home tonight...

Just got in...

My daughter wanted to drive it home, I was leading in my VW...

We are tooling down the interstate around 80... ac blasting... she calls me...

Dad... all the dash warning lights just lit up.

I thought maybe the alternator quit, then asked what is the engine temp.

She says it’s close to 120, and the ac isn’t running anymore...

I order her to pull over immediately, she shuts off the car, and I dump a gallon of distilled water on the Ip side, then the exhaust manifold side, to leach away heat quickly...

Assess the situation... of course, the belt is wrapped around the fan, etc...

It must have shredded, gotten sideways, and it clipped the small vent hose as well... everything else looked fine.

The trans cooler hose got hit, but just got tweaked up. The wire coil around it, protected it nicely.

I open the tire/tool storage bin, and a nice spare belt is sitting there... (thank you Jaybob!) I get all the belt bits out, put the cooler hose back, position the bleed hose back in place, top off the expansion tank, (doesn’t everybody carry two gallons of distilled water with them everywhere?) replace the belt, start it up... no odd noises... I hit the road, the #14 head holds 80 all the way Home...

Gotta love these cars, and their quirks.

My drivers:
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5-5SPEED!!!

1987 300TD
1987 300TD
1994GMC 2500 6.5Turbo truck... I had to put the ladder somewhere!