View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 06:29 PM
88Black560SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipplem104 View Post
I really do not know why they changed engines so fast. Probably cost or emissions or marketing.
Actually aftermarket fuel injection for direct injection is readily available but very expensive. And really hard to set up from scratch. Really you are looking at around 10-15k to have an engine that starts. This is why I went with OE stuff on my CDI swap. I spent around 5k to get stuff to work with the factory computers and work out what I needed. And it is OE and starts and runs like OE. Thats millions of dollars of tuning.
The key is getting rid of the stuff you do not want or need and figuring out how to make the remaining items happy so they work like they are supposed to. I do this for myself and customers. It is just expensive to do a one off. And there is no market. I have proven that. I can run a dozen or so Mercedes Engines with factory computers in a standalone environment. ECU, TCU, shifter. Ignition and keys. Everything from the om648 to a m275. I mean really 55k and vv12tt that work and drive factory and not one single person has been interested. Because it costs more than 10.00. But man 20-30k to put a ls motor or a cummins in a truck and you can stay as busy as you want.

Go for it. I say. Its only money and time.
I certainly agree with that. But at this time I am reaching an age where I no longer have to make money. But at the same time I cant loose any money either. I have had some reasonable offers on my V12 107 at least enough to make a profit but certainly not enough to quite my day job.