View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 10:04 PM
Benz addict

Marcoaponte,

Over the years, I've owned a 79 280TE, 85 280SL and a 81 280E, all euro versions.

Since your question is specifically for the 280TE, here in the US, the only way to find one is with the euro specification. Which is good, as the euro M110 has 185 hp vice a much more anemic USA version with somewhere around 125hp. The M110 engine is a nice runner, pulls well as the revs rise. It does have it's own set of problems and maintenance issues, as do most engines, what I remember most is cams flattening out and you need to shim the valves to adjust. But.... no glow plugs to break off! One nice feature of the 280TE is that they can be found with manual transmissions.

I currently have a 1985 300TD that has had a manual transmission fitted. Arguably, the rarest combination, since they were not offered as a factory option. Whilst a five speed would be nice, the 85 with the lower numeric rear end doesn't really need the extra gear, and the diesel works better with some revs at speed, so with what a good 5 speed costs, I'm pretty satisfied with having a 4 speed. I've also owned an 83 300D, an 81 240D, and a 81 300D non turbo.

Given the age of these cars, and the scarcity now, the M110 engined cars will be far harder to find than the diesel versions. Also, most of these cars are going to have some pretty high mileage, with the attendant needs that the common chassis and driveline will require.

The most likely car to run across will be the 300TD, and it will have a turbo from 1981 on. The 85s are the most desirable because they have a different torque converter (higher stall speed) and rear end ratio (numerically lower, lower revs on the highway), but any of these turbos are nice cars. I really enjoyed my 83 300D sedan, and had driven that car across country twice. The non turbo versions are also nice, but significantly more leisurely. I'd also suggest that the automatic transmission is more suited to the turbo. Each time you change gears, and let off the throttle, you lose your boost. Not so with an automatic, you keep your foot on the pedal and the boost stays up.

I think I'd favor the diesel over the gas, but the overriding factor should be condition. Either one in good condition would be a winner in my book. Although, if I ever run across another 280TE with a factory five speed.......
Might be a hard sell to Linda, she's mighty partial to diesels and she loves the 85 300TD, manual transmission and all.

Jim
85 300TD 4 spd man, euro bumpers and lights, 15" Pentas dark blue 274k miles