View Single Post
Old 06-17-2018, 12:04 PM

So I think I figured out the problem. After checking all of the parts I found that the boot on one of the drag link ends was not sealed on the top properly and was way looser than the tie rod ends. Then I looked at the steering damper and the bushing where it attaches is completely shot. This is very frustrating as I had an alignment shop change those out. I asked what kind they put in and they said they were oem replacements (whatever that means). All the parts I put in were lemfoerder. Now I have a new drag link and steering damper on order...I am almost positive that the clunk was from that bushing turning as I turned the wheel.

Everything that I did not do myself has been a nightmare on this car. I actually spent 10 hours at the local Mercedes dealership waiting for them to figure out my alignment. Ultimately, they found that my guide rod mounts were bad at that time. Don't you think that would have been something to check right away? They did let me know that I had some rust holes in the floor...No sh#*@t

On another note, that bad drag link end will not come out without using a pickle fork. I usually can pound on the pitman arm end and they will fall out, but I pounded for longer than I would have liked with every manner of chemical and heat...Maybe they put it together without cleaning out the hole in the pitman arm? Don't know, but I guess it does not matter since I will be replacing the drag link.