View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 SL320 View Post
But have not acted on making / selling parts. This reads like a Craigslist ad. " Does not run, probably something minor, don't have money to fix , lost interest , car is worth $ 50,000 running , will sell for $ 3,000. "

And that's my point. MB is fronting the $ to store / have these parts made. Anyone that does this is entitled to push the price to what ever level they feel the market will bear. If the price it too high, others will swoop in and make the parts for less $ , that is the way capitalism works.

Think about all of this the next time someone complains about what you charge.
No one complains because I never rip anyone off - I rarely charge full list price for anything and charge about $55.00 USD per hour. If I can't fix something I usually don't charge very much and if a job takes too long I'll give a guy a break. How many parts do you buy every month and how many cars have you restored?

MB used to have small increases in pricing every year and then all of a sudden it was 2 or 3 or even 4 times more in one go, sometimes their pricing makes no sense at all. I've seen people try to defend MB pricing before and you aren't the first to not understand the bigger picture.

I've been selling MB parts since 1988 as a K&K dealer so I have a pretty good idea of what parts prices are doing. I started restoring MB cars in 1977 so I guess I still have a lot to learn about my trade.

BTW, I'm a restoration shop not a manufacturer. And, you can't reproduce anything with a MB logo on it. Ever price a MB hub cap for a 190SL? A grill or even the star and barrel?