View Single Post
Old 06-22-2018, 01:30 AM
https://fintail.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwnate1 View Post
I love this thread .

I remember doing many similar jobs in the 1960's on oldies that no parts were available for .

Your dedication and attention to the details is amazing and pleasant to read about .
Thanks!

I got the spare defroster control lever cleaned up and painted to match the other three levers. This time, for whatever reason, the cable popping off was not a problem. I think it had to do with me bending the loop of the wire at an angle so it lined up parallel to the lever. Unfortunately, I was trying to bend the plastic shield slightly and the pin broke off. I put a drop of acetone on each end of the broken parts and pushed them together. Then I brushed acetone around the outside and the pieces melted together. It is repaired and seems as strong as ever.

Here is the custom climate control box with the control levers in place. The heater valve is opened and closed by a little vacuum switch on the far left and right. It's funny because only a slight movement of the lever moves the switches as far as they will go and the rest of the travel won't do anything--originally it was intended to move the inner flaps which would have controlled the left and right heat level separately, but I'm going for simplicity.

I can't install the case just yet. Besides having to complete the wiring, I have a rusted firewall to repair. The metal partition that is supposed to prevent water and debris from getting into the blower motor has holes in it, so water and debris from the cowl have been leaking in.

The 280SE that I bought for parts, though rusty, had a partition that's not rusty. So, I used a Blair Rotabroach spotweld cutter and removed it. I'll also cut out some parts of the firewall to use to patch mine. I'll have to weld in the parts (I haven't done much welding other than making tandem bicycles when I was a kid) and will make sure to use a lot of seam sealer.

DON'T MESS WITH MY MERCEDES!

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Highly Optioned, 350,000+ Miles